Italy - Tyler Farrar (USA), who rode to very impressive 5th place finish in yesterday's Giro stage 2, backed it up today with a huge 2nd place in stage 3 of the Giro d'Italia, a 198K effort from Grado to Valdobbiadene. Tyler's 2nd place moved him up to 2nd in the overall, just 8 seconds behind leader Alessandro Petacchi (ITA), and put him in the coveted white "Best Young Rider" jersey.
While Tyler's finish today further reinforces his place amongst the world's best sprinters, it was a mixed day for Garmin as team leader Christian Vande Velde (USA) was forced to retire from the event after a nasty crash sent him to the hospital with two broken ribs and badly bruised back.
1. Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) - 4.45.27 (41.618km/h)
2. Tyler Farrar (USA)
3. Francesco Gavazzi (Ita)
4. Dario Cataldo (Ita)
5. Damiano Cunego (Ita)
Overall after 3 stages:
1. Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) - 8.50.06
2. Tyler Farrar (USA) - at 0.08
3. Michael Rogers (Aus) - at 0.18
4. Thomas Lövkvist (Swe) - at 0.18
5. Lance Armstrong (USA) - at 0.31