Hunter sprints to fourth Down Under
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Australia — The 2010 ProTour season is underway in Australia, and South African Robbie Hunter, a new recruit to the Garmin-Transitions team, was in the finishing mix in the first two stages of the Santos Tour Down Under. Hunter, picked up from the South African team Barloworld to give the team’s American sprinter Tyler Farrar an ace lead-out man, finished fourth in Wednesday’s second stage in Australia.
The Felt-sponsored Garmin-Transitions squad felt right at home on Wednesday’s 133.5-kilometer stage: It started in team rider Jack Bobridge’s hometown of Gawler and finished in Hahndorf, where team director Matthew White won a stage in 2005.
German sprinter Andre Greipel won Wednesday’s sprint finale, and Hunter’s fourth-place finish kept him in the General Classification hunt. He now sits ninth, just 20 seconds back. Thursday’s stage follows a hilly 132.5-kilometer route that features a finishing circuit and some tough hills near the finish.
SANTOS TOUR DOWN UNDER
Australia. January 19-24
Stage 2: Gawler-Hahndorf, 133.5km
1. Andre Greipel (Ger), HTC-Columbia, 3:23:49
2. Greg Henderson (NZ), Team Sky, same time
3. Robbie McEwen (Aus), Katusha, same time
4. Robbie Hunter (RSA), Garmin-Transitions, same time
5. Graeme Brown (Aus), Rabobank, same time
1. Andre Greipel (Ger), HTC-Columbia, 5:38:59
2. Greg Henderson (NZ), Team Sky, at 0:14
3. Gert Steegmans (Bel), Radio Shack, same time
4. Robbie McEwen (Aus), Katusha, at 0:16
5. Jurgen Roelandts (Bel), Omega Pharma-Lotto, same time
9. Robbie Hunter (RSA), Garmin-Transitions, at 0:20