Millar second at Vuelta TT
Saturday, September 5, 2009
Spain — Garmin-Slipstream’s David Millar finished second in Stage 7 of the Vuelta a España on Saturday, posting an impressive ride in the rainy 30-kilometer time trial that started and finished on a Formula One motor racing circuit in Valencia.
Riding his Felt DA TT bike, Millar got stronger in the second half of his ride, clocking a time that led for most of the day. Only Fabian Cancellara of Switzerland could surpass the Scot’s performance. World Time Trial Champion Bert Grabsch of Germany finished third, 4 seconds behind Millar.
American Tom Danielson, fighting for overall contention, also rode a solid TT for the Garmin-Slipstream squad, placing seventh, 50 seconds behind Cancellara. It was one of the best rides among the climbers who will start to shine on Sunday as the race heads into the mountains.
VUELTA A ESPANA
Spain. August 29-September 20
Stage 7, Valencia Spain, 30km Individual Time Trial
1. Fabian Cancellara (Swi), 36:41
2. David Millar (GB), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:32
3. Bert Grabsch (Ger), Columbia-HTC, at 0:36
4. Davide Herrero (Spa), Xacobeo Galicia, at 0:40
5. Vasil Kiryienka (Blr), Caisse d’Epargne, at 0:46
7. Tom Danielson (USA), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:50
1. Fabian Cancellara (Swi), Saxo Bank, 24:58:12
2. Tom Boonen (Bel), Quick Step, at 0:51
3. Davide Herrero (Spa), Xacebo Galicia, at 0:59
4. Daniele Bennati (Ita), Liquigas, at 1:03
5. Vasil Kiryienka (Blr), Caisse d’Epargne, at 1:08
8. Tom Danielson (USA), Garmin-Slipstream, at 1:19
10. David Millar (GB), Garmin-Slipstream, at 1:20