Millar wins Vuelta TT! Third stage win for Garmin-Slipstream
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Spain — Veteran David Millar won Stage 20 of the Vuelta a España on Saturday, giving Garmin-Slipstream its third stage win of the season’s final grand tour. Millar stormed to victory on his Felt DA team bike, covering the 27.8-kilometer course in Toledo with a time of 35:53.
Millar’s win was the latest breakthrough in a brilliant performance by the Garmin-Slipstream squad at this year's Vuelta; his teammates Tyler Farrar and Ryder Hesjedal also posted wins, on stages 11 and 12 respectively.
On a rolling course with one substantial climb at the 20km mark, Millar proved fastest, improving on his second-place finish at the Vuelta’s opening time trial nearly three weeks ago. He beat second place finisher Samuel Sanchez of Spain by five seconds.
Saturday’s time trial was the penultimate stage of the 2009 Vuelta, which finishes on Sunday in Madrid. Overall leader Alejandro Valverde of Spain finished seventh in the TT, preserving his GC lead with just one stage to go.
VUELTA A ESPANA
Spain. August 29-September 20
Stage 20, Individual Time Trial, Toledo, 27.8km
1. David Millar (GB), Garmin-Slipstream, 35:53
2. Samuel Sanchez (Spa), Euskaltel-Euskadi, at :05
3. Cadel Evans (Aus), Silence-Lotto, at 0:09
4. Gustavo Cesar Veloso (Spa), Xacobea Gaicia, at 0:20
5. Roman Kreuziger (Cze), Liquigas, at 0:30
1. Alejandro Valverde (Spa), Caisse d’Epargne, 84:10:32
2. Samuel Sanchez (Spa), Euskaltel-Euskadi, at 0:55
3. Cadel Evans (Aus), Silence-Lotto, at 1:32
4. Ivan Basso (Ita), Liquigas, at 2:12
5. Ezequiel Mosquera (Spa), Xacocobea Galicia, at 4:27