Sutton Strikes Down Under!
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Australia — After narrowly missing victories at the first two days of the Jayco Herald Sun Tour in Australia, Garmin-Slipstream’s Chris Sutton broke through for the win on Tuesday’s Stage 2 in Warrnambool. Sutton outsprinted fellow Aussies Jonathan Cantwell and Matthew Wilson at the end of a tough 141km stage to take the win.
It was a windy day on the roads from Colac to Warrnambool, and the Garmin-Slipstream squad proved strongest in the adverse conditions. The tough men of the Argyle Armada whittled it down to a small group of six survivors at the front, three of them from the Garmin squad: Sutton, Bradley Wiggins and Svein Tuft.
After a day that saw time gaps widen, Garmin-Slipstream now has three riders within striking distance of the overall lead: Sutton in second, 3 seconds behind Cantwell; Wiggins fifth at 0:28; and Tuft sixth at 0:46.
In addition, Garmin-Slipstream’s American Under-23 rider Alex Howes strengthened his hold on the Mountains Classification by winning the day’s only KOM.
Sutton finished second in the prologue criterium on Sunday and then again in Monday’s Stage 1. This time he was able to come around Cantwell to take the win.
Wednesday’s stage will feature the biggest climbs yet in the Herald Sun Tour. The 164km race from Warrnambool to Apollo Bay features a Cat. 1 climb and a Cat. 2 climb,
Jayco Herald Sun Tour
Australia, October 11-17
1. Chris Sutton (Aus), Garmin-Slipstream, 3:33:44
2. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus), Fly V Australia, same time
3. Matthew Wilson (Aus), Jayco Australia National, same time
4. David Pell (Aus), Savings & Loans, same time
5. Bradley Wiggins (GB), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:03
1. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus), Fly V Australia, 7:15:17
2. Chris Sutton (Aus), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:03
3. Matthew Wilson (Aus), Jayco Australia National, at 0:19
4. David Pell (Aus), Savings & Loans, at 0:25
5. Bradley Wiggins (Aus), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:28
6. Svein Tuft (Can), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:46