Sutton makes it three in a row Down Under!
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Australia — Chris Sutton of the Garmin-Slipstream squad made it three in a row on Thursday, winning another stage at the Jayco Herald Sun Tour and extending his hold on the leader’s jersey for another day.
Fighting through rain and windy conditions during the 139km Stage 4 from Anglesea to Barwon Head, the Garmin-Slipstream squad once again controlled the race, maintaining high GC positions for its team leaders and putting Sutton in place to score a sprint win for the third straight day.
With a rainstorm pounding riders in the finishing stretch, Sutton was led out by teammate Bradley Wiggins
. Sutton finished things off, riding his Felt AR team bike
to a sprint win over fellow Aussie Jonathan Cantwell. Wiggins held on for third.
With two stages to go, Sutton leads Cantwell by five seconds in the overall standings. Wiggins sits third, 43 seconds back, and another Garmin-Slipstream rider, Canadian Svein Tuft,
is fifth at 1:08.
Friday’s time trial in Geelong is expected to prove decisive, and with three riders in the top-10, Garmin-Slipstream is right where it wants to be. Jayco Herald Sun Tour
Australia, October 11-17Stage 41. Chris Sutton (Aus), Garmin-Slipstream, 3:06:47
2. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus), Fly V Australia, same time3. Bradley Wiggins (GB), Garmin-Slipstream, same time
4. Aaron Kemps (Aus), Rock Racing, same time
5. Jan Kirsipuu (Est), LeTua, same timeGeneral Classification1. Chris Sutton (Aus), Garmin-Slipstream, 14:10:42
2. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus), Fly V Australia, at 0:053. Bradley Wiggins (GB), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:43
4. Matthew Wilson (Aus), Jayco Australia National, at 0:585. Svein Tuft (Can), Garmin-Slipstream, at 1:08