Wells scores podium finish at North Carolina GP
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Mafia Racing’s Jake Wells (left) scored an impressive podium finish at Sunday's North Carolina Grand Prix UCI cyclocross race in Hendersonville, N.C. Wells fared well in the cold, muddy conditions, piloting his Felt F15X to third place behind Italian Davide Frattini and Brian Matter, first and second respectively.
The Felt-sponsored rider from Avon, Colorado, showed good form all weekend long in the Grand Prix weekend, which featured back-to-back races on Saturday and Sunday. While Saturday’s race featured unseasonably warm weather and fast conditions, a storm that brought rain and cold temperatures made Sunday a mud-fest.
Wells saw his podium hopes dashed on Saturday when he rolled a tire on the last lap, so he was pleased to make up for the disappointment the following day.
“I was the one who glued my tubulars, so it was a bummer to lose out on a podium, especially in the last lap of racing,” said Wells, who had to settle for 6th place Saturday after running his bike through the final meters of the course.
Wells rallied to overcome the muddy conditions on Sunday. “It was super-greasy,” he said. “And I thought I had the gap for second, but I made a few tactical errors.”
As the days count down before the Cyclocross National Championships in Bend, Oregon, top results in UCI-level events become a sought-after commodity. The higher a rider’s ranking, the better his start position will be when the nation’s best cyclocross racers line up in Oregon the weekend of December 9-13.
Next up for Wells: Jinglecross, a three-day event in Iowa City, Iowa, next weekend.
Photo courtesy Jeff Zimmerman (www.jeffzimmermanphotography.com)
North Carolina Grand Prix
November 21-22, Hendersonville, N.C.
1. Matt Shriver, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, 0:58:03
2. Davide Frattini (Ita), Fuji, at 0:28
3. Brian Matter, Gear Grinder, at 0:35
4. Travis Livermon, Champion Systems/Cannondale, at 0:59
5. Eric Thompson, Lees McRaes College, at 1:08
6. Jake Wells, Mafia Racing, at 1:13
1. Davide Frattini (Ita), Fuji, 59:22
2. Brian Matter, Gear Grinder, at 0:16
3. Jake Wells, Mafia Racing, at 0:20
4. Matt Shriver, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, at 0:56
5. Travis Livermon, Champion System/Cannondale, at 1:58