Amilly, FRA - Reigning World and Olympic Pursuit Champion Bradley Wiggins (left) opening the 2009 Paris-Nice in impressive fashion taking 2nd in the opening 9.3K time trial while fellow British countryman David Millar took 5th. Amidst a 159 man pro field and aboard their Felt DA's - the world's fastest UCI legal TT bike - the Garmin/Sliptream pros set the tone during a very wet first stage.
Racing continues tomorrow with the 195K stage two from Saint-Brisson-sur-Loire to La Chapelle-Saint-Ursin.
1. Alberto Contador (ESP) - 11.05 (50.346 km/h)
2. Bradley Wiggins (GBR) - at 0.07
3. Luis-Leon Sanchez (ESP) - at 0.09
4. Tony Martin (GER) - at 0.11
5. David Millar (GBR) - at 0.14