Wiggins wins overall at Herald Sun Tour!
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Australia—Bradley Wiggins put the finishing touches on the Garmin-Slipstream squad’s dominating performance throughout the Jayco Herald Sun Tour in Australia on Saturday. The Brit, who took over the lead after winning Friday’s time trial stage on his Felt AR, defended his lead on Saturday’s final stage in Melbourne to take the overall victory in the weeklong stage race.
Garmin-Slipstream controlled the 62km race from start to finish. With three riders—Wiggins, Chris Sutton and Svein Tuft—all in the top-five, the only real question was which rider from the team would take the overall win. Sutton, the team’s top sprinter, had already won three stages and led the race before Wiggins won the time trial. And Tuft started the day only 39 seconds back.
Australian Jonathan Cantwell ended up winning Saturday’s stage, but Wiggins hung with the lead group to ensure the overall win. After emerging as a revelation earlier this season with a fourth-place finish at the Tour de France, Wiggins now has his first-ever major pro stage race win to his name. Sutton held on to finish second, and Tuft finished fourth.
(Photo courtesy of Shane Goss/licoricegallery.com)
Australia, October 11-17
1. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus), Fly V Australia, 1:26:57
2. Michael Matthews (Aus), Jayco AIS, same time
3. David Tanner (Aus), Rock Rcing, same time
4. Aaron Kemps (Aus), Rock Racing, same time
5. Jaan Kirsipuu (Est), Le Tua, same time
1. Bradley Wiggins (Aus), Garmin-Slipstream, 15:51:27
2. Chris Sutton (Aus), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:11
3. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus), Fly V Australia, at 0:20
4. Svein Tuft (Can), Garmin-Slipstream, at 0:48
5. Bernard Van Ulden (USA), Jelly Belly, at 1:43